Thursday, May 3, 2012

Plumberries, Oranges and Port Wine

…these are the color names of the cottons used for this dress.

DSC_9462-Edit

And that is exactly what I was thinking of as I was stitching it up. Delicious, colorful fruits and a glass of dark red wine (a personal favorite). All while I was thinking of this dress and working with the fabrics, I had images like this one swirling in my mind.

 

Yum! I just love this color combination and how the dress worked out. I drafted this during KCWC last week and finished it up yesterday.

DSC_9465-EditDSC_9473-EditDSC_9475-EditDSC_9476-EditDSC_9477-Edit

I’m entering this dress into this weeks challenge at Project Run & Play. The challenge theme this week is: color. Initially when I read that, I thought of bright, bold, loud, big colors. But then I started to think of how color in deeper, more subtle tones can make just as much of an impact. I was inspired by a RTW dress that I saw with a similar color palette and I was sold!

It’s made of quilting cottons, the seams were finished with pinking shears. Normally I serge all my interior seams, but this time I was too tired lazy to change the thread in my serger.

DSC_9480-Edit-2

 

DSC_9496-EditDSC_9497-EditDSC_9498-EditDSC_9500-EditDSC_9502-EditDSC_9528-Edit

I started to document the process with the idea of writing a tutorial, but then I got anxious to finish. But I do want to make this dress again. Anyone interested in a tutorial or maybe a digital pattern? If you are, leave a comment and let me know. If enough people are interested, I might write up a tutorial and put the pieces I drafted together for a download.

signature2

16 comments:

  1. Always interested in your tutorials. I enjoy reading your blog and viewing your creations. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. okay, so was this inspired by a zulily dress? i pinned one that is very similar-- love, love, love it! would love your tutorial/pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the colours! ... and the dress :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun! Love the way the stripes change directions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this dress, it is perfectly my style, and I would totally make one for my daughter if you did a tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes!!!! I would love a tut for this dress

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes!!!! I would love a tut for this dress

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great and unexpected color combination! Far more creative than mine. Your dress is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This dress is so amazingly beautiful! Very inspiring coz I love color blocking, and your color combos is just perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. yes please... a tutorial...;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a classic child's dress and the proportions are perfect! Would you pretty please with a cherry on top write a tutorial.... xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh so beautiful! I know life is crazy busy, but when you have the time . . .a tute would be amazing! you are so uber-talented!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm completely obsessed with this dress and my little girl is still too little to wear this! Please please please put up a tutorial if you have time!! :) Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...